Career Switcher Program
The VCU Pathways to Teaching Career Switcher Program is an innovative route into the teaching profession. Designed for prospective teachers from different career and life experiences, this program focuses on needs in urban and high needs school divisions.
This accelerated program will move prospective teachers into the classroom early with full-time employment while also working with experienced teachers and university education faculty.
The Career Switcher program improves retention of fully licensed teachers in local school divisions, preparing teachers close to home, where they are likely to stay and consequently improve retention of fully licensed teachers in those school divisions.
Pillars of the Pathways to Teaching Career Switcher Program include:
- Recruitment and admission of highly qualified teacher education candidates.
- A curriculum with strong pedagogical principles based on Universal Design for Learning (UDL).
- Involvement of the community as vital partners.
- Competency-based exit requirements that ensure teachers are equipped to be successful in urban and high needs classrooms
- A VCU Induction Mentor Program during Level II.
VCU Pathways to Teacher Career Switcher Program Goals
- To engage, prepare, and support success for diverse and experienced professionals that seek to transition to the classroom and provide quality education for students in urban and high-needs schools.
- To cultivate a passion for equity and social justice in diverse urban and high-need settings and develops talented career-changers to be effective and informed teachers.
Please contact Tessa Boutwell (email@example.com), if you have additional questions about the program.
Click flyer to register.